[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mithras • View topic - RAYNER COSS RETURNS TO MITHRAS
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: RAYNER COSS RETURNS TO MITHRAS
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:47 pm 
Mithras Vocalist / Bassist 2009-2010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:14 pm 
Mithras Guitarist / Drummer

It's almost tragic that Sean wasn't up for drumming at any more Mithras shows; if he had been then there'd have been plenty more chances to catch that line-up playing, as I can honestly say we were totally nailing the material live, way better than than ever before. But it just didn't last and wasn't to be...

I've said some of this previously, but this is a good time to clarify it as this stuff just couldn't go concisely into any press release and people are bound to ask for more details;

The ongoing nonsense which finally came to a head around SWR Festival had really depressed me; and after all that and Sean then saying he wasn't up for playing further shows, I simply wasn't in a position mentally where I could return to the old chestnut of either actively seeking a live drummer, or just sit about waiting for one to materialise, as I'd been doing that for over ten years and frankly, I was REALLY tired of it, plus there was loads of therefore redundant live equipment in paid for storage which was just sitting about wasting money and more stuff taking up space in my house.

Now at this point in time I knew Sam was up for collaborating on new material, and Rayner had also expressed interest in returning to Mithras, not forgetting Tom Hyde who was also gunning to contribute; but the bottom line was I wasn't willing to collaborate with anyone else, as I was constantly up and down with how I felt about Mithras. After being messed about by ex-members since the band started (which led to an untold amount of wasted time), I didn't think it was fair to string any of these guys along down a path that could be a total waste of their time ending with me saying "no, sorry but I've had enough - the end", especially as I gathered Sam was making an important decision regarding how much longer he was going to stay in the UK with the call of Aus becoming strong once more and all of them busy with their own lives.

So this is why I decided last year that the best option for me, was to put to rest the idea of playing live for a while (and get rid of the accompanying mountain of gear) and work completely on my own with no one else's expectations or situations as an influence or restraint, to try and get back on track, and to be blunt, see if I still enjoyed it. So, I spent about eight months working on new material sporadically and just getting away from everything I'd come to find annoying or depressing about doing Mithras (and believe me over 12 years a lot can build up). The good news is it all levelled out for me and I became inspired again. Obviously during this time I also had a go at doing the vocals and bass myself and demoed up quite a few tracks.

It's worth pointing out (again) that Sam and me have made a great record together - The Floating World - and it's going to be released soon in all it's inglory. It took over three years from start to finish - we started in 2007, I finally finished mixing it at the start of 2011. At this point Sam had told me he was definitely going back to Australia, no super drummers had got in touch and I'd finally sold all the live equipment. Later on in April I ended up chatting to Rayner about how he was doing and it was great to hear he'd resolved a lot of things which were troubling him, he asked where I was at with new material, dropped in to have a listen and before we knew it we were actively working on new songs, and that's more or less it.

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:42 am 
The Wanderer

This is certainly good news for fans, I should think. Good luck and Godspeed on the new album.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:39 pm 
The Wanderer

Leon,
Rest assured, there are those of us in bands of our own who completely and utterly understand exactly what you've had to go through in dealing with the stresses, annoyances, disappointments, and headaches that are all but unavoidable when playing in a group with other people.

Especially when there are personal matters greater than the band which must be resolved, resulting in the temporary shutdown and hiatus of the group, be it from conflicting emotions within yourself or the unfortunate timing of them in other members of the band. And of course, the latter always seem to occur at the worst possible moment, when positivities and momentum have been successfully built up for the band.

So, believe me man... I know exactly how you feel. I wish you the best, and can't f***ing wait for new Mithras material.

Oh, and I vote for more of that ping-ponging delay playing thats in the middle of that new track; and make that part twice as long! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:13 am 
Mithras Guitarist / Drummer

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:43 am 
You are as nothing, for now I am the all

Tuke gave me this news when it happened, and I came here to look, but I never got round to saying anything
So here's a late welcome back.

Welcome back, you big hairy fucker, throw down some kick-ass bass shit and awesome shouty shouting!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:25 pm 
Searching The Endless Planes...

It's been a while since I've been on this forum, but it's certainly good news that things are going ahead with Mithras again!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2