[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mithras • View topic - MUSIC DOWNLOADING ETC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: MUSIC DOWNLOADING ETC
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:08 am 
The Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:37 am 
Great Councillor

Last edited by leeless on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:42 pm 
Mithras Guitarist / Drummer

Bakalan, you make some interesting points, be it that they're all based around justifying why it's ok to download music. You're right that one download doesn't equal a lost sale, sometimes it can equal a sale, and sometimes when someone recommends a band to a friend, 2 sales! But essentially it means someone has access to a record and all of an artists work for free, and then can make a personal choice later on as to whether to pay or not.

You are missing the point slightly, that regardless of whether or not downloading is an ethical personal choice (as regards saving £10 on a CD you might not enjoy) it's still technically theft. As you yourself acknowledge, the main problem isn't people who buy music after downloading it, it's those who download, then just won't buy it no matter what.

We can argue about the statistics re: downloading forever, but if downloading isn't hurting bands and sales, why are CD sales falling away year after year (and don't say it's because bands put out lower quality albums each time ;) ) The simple fact is that downloading = lower cd sales = killing the music industry as we know it. I can say this with confidence as in my capacity as Managing Director of an internationally available music magazine, I work with many labels who pass on a lot of information re sales vs downloads, legal downloads vs illegal downloads etc, we're talking extreme metal labels here, not EMI. Quite a few labels have closed their doors now, and many are hanging on by a thread. I don't care what anyone else "thinks" about this situation, whether labels are pretending things are bad and what arguments you can use to justify downloading in any situation, revenue for bands is falling fast. Many of you would probably shed a tear if you knew how many CD's some bands you enjoy actually sold, then wonder how they could justify carrying on making albums.

Regardless of our opinions, it obviously won't stop downloading. No government will be able to effectively legislate against downloading without effectively making the internet an Orwellian nightmare (which I personally wouldn't want). With this massive headwind, it makes making decent quality records an even bigger gamble than before (gulp!), which is a choice for any band to make in today's climate. It's pretty ironic that the same people who won't buy your CD are the first to point out how crap they think the artwork / production are, you wonder how they think these things are paid for!

I won't ask you not to download any of our music; that's your personal choice and it's not for me to command anyone in this situation.

However, interestingly since I started this thread a 'solution' or sorts has appeared (at least in respect of Mithras).
What I will politely ask everyone to do INSTEAD of downloading our albums illegally (or advising their friends to do so) is to go onto MyspaceMusic or Spotify where you can now listen to our albums in their entirety for free (so the listener gets a full preview of the entire album without actually owning our final product). I wasn't actually aware that we were available on said sites until I stumbled upon it, Candlelight are exploring every avenue with their back catalogue now (obviously to combat illegal downloads).

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:58 am 
Great Councillor

There are a lot of albums, especially in the basement black metal band category that have OOP releases. those are the things that I have downloaded.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:13 am 
The Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:45 pm 

The difference between people illegally downloading music or listening to it on a site like Spotify or MyspaceMusic is that even for the free plays, a band gets some royalties coming back. The sites generate this by selling advertising on the pages. It's virtually nothing atm though, Lady Gaga got $167 for 1 million plays on Spotify:

There's the other obvious difference whereby you have to go to that site to listen and put up with the ads, rather than having a copy of the mp3s. It'll be interesting to see if people come up with a new argument "oh I just can't be bothered logging into that site, it's too much damn trouble, I'll just download it illegally as I'm so busy and don't want anyone shoving ads in my face!!"

Quite amusingly, as anyone watching the news recently will know that some people have won from this situation, the owners of the download and torrent sharing websites, some of whom have made millions and millions :lol: :lol:

Bakalan, yes I still feel exactly the same way about downloading and over last two years have heard hundreds of 'justifications' and explanations for illegal downloading and why music is pretty much valueless nowadays. Sadly this is effectively becoming true - when something becomes easy to steal, it becomes worth much less, in both actual and perceived value.

I'm done with this thread anyway, thanks for everyone's contributions!

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:07 pm 
The Wanderer

If it is worth the money i buy it!!! \m/ (atm 703 orignial cd`s, excluding free samplers and shit like that). If it is rubbish ... i dont want to have mp3`s.

Perhaps more to follow........>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:35 am 
The Wanderer

I am that demented genius!................. and its all very deep!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:23 am 

It took me a while to work out what you were on about until I reread the entire thread. Why am I not in the least bit surprised you managed to turn this thread round to your favourite subject, yourself! :D

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:37 pm 
The Wanderer

haha! oh stop it............your turning me on!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2