It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Jackson SL-3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:41 pm 
Lord Of The Condemned

http://www.music123.com/Jackson-SL3--i71164.music

Had anyone here got/used one? I'm looking at getting a new guitar, another jackson, and this one seems to meet my criteria. It get's decent reviews on the net, but I was wanting to see what other people think of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:56 pm 
Great Councillor

What exactly is your criteria?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:05 pm 
Lord Of The Condemned

Jackson
24 frets
Neck Thru
Decent set of pick ups
Floyd rose trem (preferable official, but hard to get hold of)
Light weight
Comfortable to play
Good heavy and clean sound

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:20 pm 
Great Councillor

Sounds pretty good then,. Why Jackson though? why not try Ibanez or ESP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:52 pm 
Lord Of The Condemned

Not sure really....i've played a few esp's but they felt a bit dull....just not as slick and comfortable to play.

Jacksons also got the reputation for metal guitaring....although I don't know if that still applies now with twat fender being in charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:53 pm 
Great Councillor

If you haven't already you should try some Ibanez guitars. even the lower-end models feel really great and like they should cost twice the price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:43 pm 
Lord Of The Condemned

Quote:
they should cost twice the price.

Brilliant.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:07 pm 
Mithras Guitarist / Drummer

I wouldn't recommend you get a jackson, the only decent jacksons were made back in the day (the 80's) when the factory was based in san dimas, ca, more recent models are just trying to cash in on this "top metal guitar" legacy. That's not to say they are complete rubbish, but like Matty says, you'd be better off getting a ibanez, unless you play a jackson first and are sure it's what you want

That guitar you've linked to is the same as the charvel i use. In case anyone doesn't know, the charvel's were made by jackson back in the day when jackons were all £1000+, the charvels were a slightly lower range model, however i can say all the charvels i've played / owned kick the shit out of modern jacksons.

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:42 am 
Lord Of The Condemned

Cheers for the reply.....turns out the cunts wont ship it out of the US anwhow.......this may take some more time to sort out... :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:11 pm 
Great Councillor

http://www.gak.co.uk is probably the best UK store for guitars and other musical equipment. they have alot of Jacksons and Ibanez's for really good prices. I've bought things from there before and the service is really good too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:44 pm 
Great Councillor

If you want a great reasonably priced Jackson look for a second-hand Jackson Concept model. These were prob the last decent Jacksons made (apart from uber-money custom shop ones).

I've had 2 Jackson Concept guitars and both had the lowest action I've ever come across on a guitar without any fret buzz (even lower than the best Ibanez stuff). They were only made in 1994 for one year and were around £800 new. You can now pick them up for as little as £150 - a true bargain.

I think they made 3 models. There was the JDR 94 (Jackson Dinky Reverse headstock), a JSX 94 - basically a standard superstrat, and I think they did a JRR 94 (Sharkfin V Randy Rhoads shape).

All had 24 fret rosewood necks and all have their respective model numbers on the truss rod cover, on the headstock.
Standard pickups weren't too bad but I'd prob change them for something better - down to personal taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:55 pm 
Mithras Guitarist / Drummer

Weasel wrote:
If you want a great reasonably priced Jackson look for a second-hand Jackson Concept model. These were prob the last decent Jacksons made (apart from uber-money custom shop ones).

I've had 2 Jackson Concept guitars and both had the lowest action I've ever come across on a guitar without any fret buzz (even lower than the best Ibanez stuff). They were only made in 1994 for one year and were around £800 new. You can now pick them up for as little as £150 - a true bargain.

I think they made 3 models. There was the JDR 94 (Jackson Dinky Reverse headstock), a JSX 94 - basically a standard superstrat, and I think they did a JRR 94 (Sharkfin V Randy Rhoads shape).

All had 24 fret rosewood necks and all have their respective model numbers on the truss rod cover, on the headstock.
Standard pickups weren't too bad but I'd prob change them for something better - down to personal taste.

Was that from the year they split their ranges into "PROFESSIONAL" and "PERFORMER" and perhaps "CONCEPT", i.e when they named their ranges?

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:26 am 
Great Councillor

Leon wrote:
Was that from the year they split their ranges into "PROFESSIONAL" and "PERFORMER" and perhaps "CONCEPT", i.e when they named their ranges?

Not sure. I think the pro and performer came later, but I'm no expert on Jacksons. I know what you mean about the new ones though Leon. I tried some out in a large music shop in London and they were poor. The build and quality of the wood seems to have gone downhill.

Actually now I've read all the posts in this thread the Concept guitars won't meet hellion's criteria as they're bolt-on necks and I think the trem is licensed not original Floyd Rose.

I could prob get hold of my old JDR 94 I sold to a friend - it was mint apart from a repair to the headstock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:31 am 
Lord Of The Condemned

I've been looking at a bunch of Ibanez's on the internet but I don't really know that much about the brand itself. I'll head down the shop soon to try some out, but can you give some recommendations for something that's a decent guitar, 6 string, tremolo bridge, 24 frets and good for soloing and playing clean.

Also, what's the difference between a neck thru and a 5 piece neck? I've not come across this construction before.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:44 am 
Great Councillor

Hellion wrote:
I've been looking at a bunch of Ibanez's on the internet but I don't really know that much about the brand itself. I'll head down the shop soon to try some out, but can you give some recommendations for something that's a decent guitar, 6 string, tremolo bridge, 24 frets and good for soloing and playing clean.

Also, what's the difference between a neck thru and a 5 piece neck? I've not come across this construction before.

Cheers

I wouldn't get a new Ibanez. I'm sure Leon will agree that "they don't make 'em like they used to" :)

Check this RG 550 out :-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ibanez-rg-550-purple-metallic-fender_W0QQitemZ7362172956QQcategoryZ33043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...and this Jem - you may not like the colour but the guitar is great :-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-Jem-777VDY-Electric-Guitar-Steve-Vai_W0QQitemZ7361706360QQcategoryZ33043QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Those are the type of Ibanez I'd go for - RG 550's (with ultra-thin Wizard neck) 570's 770's up to around 1992 and Jems of the same era too. A £300-£400 good condition original RG 550 with Wizard neck will crap on just about any new Ibanez - especially in the playability stakes IMHO.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next