It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Death Vox!?!?!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:38 pm 
Lord Of The Condemned

Can anyone give me tips on how to do decent death metal vocals? I don't mean "cookie monster" ones like necrophagist and nile, i mean like opeth and behemoth, where u can actually hear the lyrics. at the moment mine have no rasp to them and sound pretty shit. Cheers in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:26 pm 
Mithras Guitarist / Drummer

You'll need to condition your throat a bit, so practice is the key. A lot of people try death vocals once and get a sore throat, this is your throat saying "fuckkkk offff!!". You'll need to do a fair amount of it before you see any results.

In terms of intelligibility you'll need to sing from your throat rather than your stomach to avoid that cookie monster burble.

Decent dm vox are all about breathing, you'll need to practice your breathing in order to be able to maintain the vocals.

Rayner drinks (not alcohol either) regularly at rehearsal to keep his voice from getting dry, and he has no problems as long as he has a drink.

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:21 am 
Cheers, ill give it a shot :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:23 am 
Lord Of The Condemned

whoops, wasn't signed in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:44 pm 
Great Councillor

Do death metal kareoke! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:39 pm 
The Wanderer

Marklad, basically it's a lot of practice. I kinda shout the words, but put a growly tone to them from my lungs if that makes sense to you? I highly recommend small ammounts of whiskey, strepsils and throaties for when you get sore, but don't overdo it or you could go a few days with a raspy, lemmy esque voice (like I have now).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:02 pm 
Great Councillor

I heard that drinking thick milkshake can help.. can't remember who i heard that from? I think morbid angel probally has the best kind of death metal vocals, cuz it takes lots of lung power, Steve tucker & Dave vincent are both great in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:22 pm 
The Wanderer

Yeah for shouty Dave Vincent style vocals Chocolate Milkshake (especially Friji) is great. If you're a lung power person though it apparently just fucks your voice up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:05 pm 
Great Councillor

Yea im not actually a singer so i don't know too much, but i do sing along to some stuff. It must be really hard to do it live expecially cuz it has to be loud which i've always found really hard. Playing an instrument & singing is impossible for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:38 pm 
Great Councillor

practice a lot...i dunno how to tell you how to do death vox but ive started by doing Black vocals i think they are easier and less strenuous on the throat....i just sing along whenever i listen to Mayhem, Aeternus, Darkthrone....and at this point i can do a pretty good Euronymous cover as opposed to maybe a month ago when i first tried so practice does help and you learn to hit the notes in the growl...some times you cant get your voice to crack and give you that nice growl but with practice it comes....maybe after years you can mimic Mikael Akerfeldt but i suppose his vocals are one of the hardest to mimic....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:15 pm 
The Wanderer

I think apart from the clean stuff Mikael Akerfeldt is a pretty crap vocalist. You want hard - you wanna try to sing along to Bethlehem's "Dictius Te Necare" album! You won't be able to talk after a minute of doing it!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:18 pm 
Great Councillor

read the first post....the point was that he called "good" vocals the ones like mikael's where you can actually hear the lyrics....im sure its hard to follow along with that stuff but the point was how to do it without hurting your throat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:23 pm 
Mithras Vocalist / Bassist

Right ladies! I think this might be my area of expertise!
Right
1. practice your ass off, That applies to everyone playing an instrument singing, wanking if you wanna get good at summat practice. (Practice makes perfect)

2. lung power is a major factor if u wanna sing loud or more complex parts. If u have noticed mithras have alot more lyrics per song than other death bands often the vocals are structured so there is little breathing spaces!If your lung power is waning the only way is to practice!( and maybe stop smoking if you do)

3 Breathing! This is critical if u fuck up ur breathing you can fuck up the part and lose your placement within the song.Again practice try and identify your breath points, may be lots of small ones instead of a large one.Taking breaths goes hand in hand with timing!

4 Timing. This applies to all parts of the band, but if your the singer and your out u look the twat wether it is your fault or not, so make sure your in and make sure the rest of the band are practiced enough for them to stay in time!

5 Keep at it . Just cus something sounds shit the first time you do it keep at it your voice needs conditioning time and eventually you will get it.Yes experiment different ways of doing it maybe find an easier way of doing it but remember are u compromising power and style just so u don`t get tired.

6 be critical does it sound shit do you think you can get it better, if your not sure keep at it and see if your voice gets better.

7 Warm up. I have never heard another singer warm up before a gig, i do every time. The first thing people listen to and the most predominate person in the band is the singer. If your are shit the band looks shit!

8 Right if you want more aggressive audible singing stretch your neck out extend your vocal chords and make it a bit more shouty. If you are after a low end rumble then move your chin closer to your chest and use your lungs to evoke a lower tone.

9 I`m getting sick of this. This is my state right now not a suggestion for your singing technique.

10 Give it every thing you have. Early on when you are learning the passion will make it feel alot better than it may well be. But when you feel that you are able to do it comfortable try and pull back and control those vox puting the accents where they are meant to be and keep the power behind the whole vocal

11 right! how to be a frontman is next weeks list ok!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:29 pm 
Mithras Vocalist / Bassist

Oh by the way i drink a pint of milk an hour and water on top!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:30 pm 
Great Councillor

Well i think thats told us all!!

Nice one Raynar!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next