It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: recommendations for 7 string pickups?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:20 am 
The Wanderer

ibanez usually puts crappy pickups in their cheap rgs, and mine is no exception. not too bad really, but i think changing them would be best for sprucing up the tone a bit. any advice? i like the reviews for dimarzios 7 string evolution and blaze pickups, haven't really looked into duncans. i want a really meaty rythm tone from the bridge, tight and lots of chunk. of course i'd like some bright tone for leads. oh yeah, basswood body, in case you couldn't guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:20 pm 
Great Councillor

I think the Leon uses the Blaze p'ups, I'd get those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:37 am 
Mithras Guitarist / Drummer

Hi there Hibernia,

yeah Matty_T is right, i've got blaze p'ups in both my universes, they sound great for rhythm or lead.
On my C# tuned guitars i used EMGS with a bridge pickup only (and an RG550 with a neck dimarzios in it for some of the leads).

Any more questions, shoot!

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:40 pm 
The Wanderer

did you do most of the solos on "worlds" with the universe? dimarzio's website says they have low mids. does that work well with basswood? i have a rather specific tone in mind, but i must admit it has been largely influenced by covenant era morbid angel and mithras' last album. of course with a bit from here and there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:00 am 

Quote:
did you do most of the solos on "worlds" with the universe? dimarzio's website says they have low mids. does that work well with basswood? i have a rather specific tone in mind, but i must admit it has been largely influenced by covenant era morbid angel and mithras' last album. of course with a bit from here and there.

I did the leads on all the songs (bar Psyrens, Voices... and They came...) with the universe (so most of them). The Universe body is basswood like your RG.

You'll be pleased to know Covenant was also recorded with the same guitar (on songs such as World of shit, Blood on my hands, God of emptiness) and even the Eb songs on that album were with a 6 string with dimarzio pickups.

Your amp will be responsible for a lot of your tone, but these pickups will be a good starting point.

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:03 am 
The Wanderer

thanks for the reply, i just have one more prying question; did you use the neck pickups alot for leads? some guitarists are 90% bridge pickups all the time, and some tend to use the bridge alot for leads. right now i am one of the "mostly use bridge" guys, but perhaps new neck pickups would change that....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:20 pm 

i use the neck sometimes for leads, i actually change my pickups in the middle of leads, and use all 5 positions on the guitar (not in one solo tho obviously). I use the bridge more than the neck lead wise, probably 80:20. I usually use the other combinations for less gain

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]