[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mithras • View topic - The State Of Britain...
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Are we heading for a crash?
Poll ended at Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:46 pm
Yes 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: The State Of Britain...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:46 pm 
The Wanderer

I was reading Saturdays (3 April 2004) Independent Newspaper, most of you people won't be interested, but it caused a reaction in me, and i thought it might in you guys, however i could be wrong...i just thought it was interesting,

The Headline read on one of the suppliments:

The average house now costs 151,467 pounds (cant find the pound sign on this laptop????!!!??) This is 5.2 times the average salary.
House prices are rising by 18 per cent a year while pay levels are rising by 3.6 per cent. Britains current morgage debt is running at 783,000,000,000
Are we heading for a crash?

As a budding economist, i think that we are. The distribution of wealth is evidently unfair, the govt are bleeding the poor dry, whilst the rich are getting richer. The easy access to credit and hire purchase is extremly high and these debts are higher than the average wage, and also most family who are in debt are dependant upon their wages to pay for the debts that they are in...i could go on. but as a budding historian as well, the circumstances of this country in turns of economy resemble those that happened just before the wall street crash in 1929...what goes up must come down...

Your views if you please...please...

Exit Electra

Last edited by Electra_In_Hades on Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:01 pm 
Great Councillor

I don't have the enthusiasm in this particular field to find facts to debate with you, but I will say that the rising cost of houses worries me greatly.

The thing is, the housing overspill from London has meant that commuters are now buying up houses further away and creating a larger demand for housing in rural areas. The problem with this is, first of all, house prices increase here which means that local people cannot afford the houses in their area. Second of all, generally (emphasis on generally), commuters have no sense of community and don't care about the services, livelihoods or lifestyles of rural communities. For example, a village near to me called "West Haddon" has expanded massively in this last few years due to its location to the M1 and the railway. Its roads can no longer support the amount of traffic it has, and so a bypass has been proposed. Those for it are mainly the commuters who to them means a quickewr drive to work. Those that have lived in the village longer (some for over 200 years), see that the bypass will break into the green belt of land around the village that slowly is becoming more and more concrete and losing its character and style.

The second thing is, not content with having one house, many well of middle class business types then desire a second house as a nice little weekend getaway, once again to the detriment of the local community as villages become ghost towns during the week.

Our country is small enough (we have a similiar population to France with only a third of the space) without developing more countryside for housing. In my opinion, those with money are not thiking of their impact on those less well off, and it's only going to get worse as the population increases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:13 am 
The Wanderer

I totally agree with you there...i was watching a program about wakefield the other day, now from what i've heard its a shit hole, but you've got terrist houses selling at 130,000 < from one source also at 200,000 < from another source of info...the area apparently isn't nice, but house prices have risen there in the last year by 30% and its only because its by the M62 i think one of the main motorways and the M1 i think not sure of the roads, most of the people living in the more splendid accomodation are those who commute.

Doesn't that figure shock you though £783,000,000,000 Britains morgage debt? Fucking hell (i say in a mock cockney accent)

Before i read that article i have been preaching that the bank of england should raise interest rates. They can't do it now because it is too unstable, even if interest rates rose by a couple of per cent for instance this could fuck a family up who say for example has a morgage of say £150,000 and who are earning an over the average wage of say £24,000 a year! unfortunately there are many families in this situation.

Low interest rates are very dangerous, it encourages people to borrow more and more money, theres nothing wrong with that if wages were rising but in effect people are taking pay cuts as inflation kicks in because interests rates are only rising by 3%...

Martin Ellis from the Halifax says that "theres nothing to worry about" his reasoning for this is because unemployment is at an all time low, interests rates are low, and supply is tight...he is as blind as a bat, I as an amatuer have proved this man to be wrong, supply is only tight because people are buying shit on credit card...he fails to mention the governments deficit budget debt, most of the collected tax money goes abroad...

when and if the economy should fall, it'll only be the beginning of Britains troubles, it'll be the catalyst of something big, britain will be left valunerable to terrorist attacks and shit....

Sorry...i have been reading to many books.

Exit Electra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:09 pm 
Great Councillor

Yes you have. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:57 pm 
The Wanderer

I think that dude from Emporor is so sexy, ^ :roll: Look at his hair ^ its gorgeous. 8)

Exit Electra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:00 pm 
Great Councillor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:30 pm 
The Wanderer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:31 pm 
Dreaming In Splendour

I Have One Thing To Say:

We're Bollocked

blame it on the rich cunts

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]