It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Meditation
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:25 pm 
Great Councillor

Hey there boys and girls. Quiet about isn't it?

Meditation. Who's got an opinion on it? I know Leon said he tried/tries to "clear his mind" before playing the guitar (feel free to elaborate on anything dude). Has anyone else tried that? I remember a few of you said that you dreamt some songs or did things or wrote music under an altered state. Have you explored meditation? What are the outcomes?

I'm getting really interested in it recently. I've always dismissed it (I don't know why) but eventually I tried it. The first time I tried it was when I was restless and I wanted to calm down. It seemed to work. The next time, I was getting worked up about coursework and I just "concentrated" on that great feeling when I finish work. It helped too.

I was reading on some Neo-Paganism sites (been getting into that recently as well), that by "emptying your mind" it is possible to pick up things that are in the background. With a somewhat open mind, I tried it last night on my bed before I went to sleep.

I sat there for about 20 minutes (at least, that's what I'd guess, I didn't really know), just regulating my breathing, trying to shut my mind off. It was frustrating first because I just couldn't stop thinking. But after a while, I was concious of my breathing in and out and everything else was in the background. I started seeing things. I saw a sunset over a mountain range but with white light instead of red. Perhaps is was more of a "moonset". I saw a broken stone causeway in a massive lake of water, with a low sun reflecting. Then I saw a bird of prey of some sort. It flew towards me from the distance, looked at me, then flew away.

And that's where I left it.

I have no idea where the hell these images came from. I can't remember having seen any of these things before. I suppose they were the work of my imagination, but then again, perhaps not. There seems to be a huge number of people that use these methods in their spirituality, and believe that they here voices, spirits and prophetic visions from who knows where.

I don't really know why I'm doing it, but if anything, it's a pretty cool "journey" to go on. It's like an awakened dream almost. Oh, and it's totally changed my interpretation of "Dreaming in Splendour".

Anyway...into the Otherworld!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:50 pm 
Great Councillor

Meditation is just concentrating deeply on one thing

100% honestly this is what i do

i put on Mithras (or any other metal band with good variation in the bass drum) very loudly and lay in my bed with a pillow over my head. i have the speakers right next to my bed so you can feel the vibration of the beats through the bed. i lay on my stomach with my ear on the bed and the pillow on top of my head and i concentrate deeply on the bass drum. with the pillow over my head it kind of muffles the rest of the music and the volume. after maybe 10 - 20 minutes of just completely focusing on the bass drum i will eventually become completely deaf to the rest of the music. at this point i would expect its that my mind is completely clear, and i immediately fall into a deep sleep. doing this i can fall asleep at any time of day with no matter how rested i am.

i cant recall any dreams ive had during this, but i can try it again and write them down for you :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:27 pm 
Great Councillor

You meditate to Mithras. How odd!

I guess if you've got a pillow on your head then it blocks out the distractions. Personally, I'd find it hard to clear my mind the way you describe, but each to their own. When you say you are deaf to all the music except the bass drum is similar to what a lot of stories I've heard about focusing on your breathing until that's all there is, or staring at a candle light until the light is all there is (wouldn't recommend it though, sounds to me like a good way to get eye-strain).

Have you tried any other methods of meditation (aside from extreme metal-tation...HO HO HO).

Did I just say that? :shock: I'll get me coat.

I'm going to try some outdoors meditation soon and see if anything is different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:47 pm 
Great Councillor

i really havent experimented with many methods of meditation. but this one seems to work for me if i want a quick relaxing two hour nap :-)

but i usually sleep with a pillow over my head so i guess im kinda used to it :P

i guess it sounds kinda hard, but i cant really explain how you do it

its just the way you interpret the bass drum strokes in your head. like im listening to mithras, i dont have the drumming parts memorized, but i can predict how the section will develop. i just know if there is going to be a single strokes or double or at this speed or that speed. i really have no idea how to explain it, you just focus completely on the bass drum and it drones out the rest of the music (along with the pillow)

i guess its similar to counting sheep, but imo more effective :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:55 pm 
You are as nothing, for now I am the all

My two methods for meditation.

One most used.

Sit in an uncomfortable chair. Turn the lights off, stare upwards.

Secondary method (Also the greatest cure for writers block)

Sit in chair, turn lights off, put Boards Of Canada on, and take two hits of acid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:29 pm 
Great Councillor

Haha ^ nice one ;-) & yea it has been kind a dead around these areas lately! How is everyone? What a spliffing day it's been!

I've been reading about astral projection & samhainism for awhile & really want to get into it. The problem I have is clearing my mind tho, it's basically impossible for me.

I can relate to minion's meditation to mithras, i find mithras strangely relaxing even on the heavy fast stuff. I always go into a tranqual state when listening to dreaming in splendour y'know the 'I AM EVERLASTING' BUDALA BOOOMmm (budala boom being the drum sound :-p) part then that deep guitar sound sends me to realms far far away, dont do drugs kids.. do mithras!

Yea anyway meditation...

Im going to goto this place called carnbrea hill soon & try doing some up there, it's a very peacefull place & whenever im up there I seem to get the whole place to myself so yea... writers block!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:19 pm 
Great Councillor

ah yes, Dreaming in Splendor that part is so great. personally i like the part right after that, when leon goes mental on the snare drum :lol:

i really like lying in the dark listening to Searching the Endless Planes that song makes me feel like im flying through space and the stars are really bright, then at that part towards the end when it changes i think im talking to an alien who is just a very bright light and the sound is his voice.

its also great to lie in bed and listen to some drone stuff like Sunn O))) especially the Libations of Samain album or some Moonn D))) and Umbra

also at times Noise can be relaxing, the only noise band i have bothered listening to is Azerate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:47 am 
Great topic!

Meditation is a great exercise for the mind and body. I meditate very often and also play close attention to my dreams. If you meditate often you will find your dreams are much more vivid and usually in color. I find that the more vivid my dreams are the more renewed and rested I feel when I wake up. Has anyone experienced lucid dreaming? which is being concious inside your own dream being able to control and manipulate the dream environment?

Nauthiz- If you are having trouble clearing your mind I highly suggest you try guided meditation its a very good way to start meditation and also a good reference for your own methods. You can find plenty of free guided meditation online. One method that works for me when trying to clear my mind before meditation is to imagine a huge dumpster (or any large trash container lol) in front of you nothing else but the containter... then think of any problems, concerns or worries you have and place them one by one in the dumpster do this until there are no other concerns or worries you can think of and then make the dumpster dissapear in your mind..aslo having the right settings around you can also make a difference in your meditation I use insense (Nag Champa is my prefered brand) and keep the room as dark as possible. Also keep your breathing steady in through the nose and out through the mouth fully with the mouth partially open...hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:07 am 
Great Councillor

Quote:
Has anyone experienced lucid dreaming? which is being concious inside your own dream being able to control and manipulate the dream environment?

Yea it's great!

Thanx for the tips mate. I'll give them ago over the next few weeks as i'll be living in a van with no distractions so hopefully i'll be able to clear my mind alot easier

Post subject: Re: Meditation
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:08 pm 
Great Councillor

Ach! It's just as quiet as the last time I posted.

leeless wrote:
Then I saw a bird of prey of some sort. It flew towards me from the distance, looked at me, then flew away.

An update.

I seem to remember this bird as a white barn owl. I did some meditation on Sunday, and I saw this owl again, it reminded me of the first meditation I did. I thought, hmmmmm...recurring.

Anyway, I went to a friends house yesterday (she's a witch) and as I was talking to her, I noticed a picture of a barn owl on her mantlepiece. I was kind of in shock a little bit, and I told my friend what I had seen in meditation. She said "That's interesting". "Why?" I said. She then lifted her top to reveal a tattoo of a barn owl on her back!

It fucked me up for a good 10 minutes.

How's everyone elses meditation going?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]