[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mithras • View topic - Let's talk other sci-fi/spacey bands
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Let's talk other sci-fi/spacey bands
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:22 pm 
The Wanderer

I stumbled onto Mithras a few months ago and they quickly went upon my top death (or "extreme") metal list. Right next to Nocturnus who was as innovative and unique as Mithras in their prime. What are some other bands that play sci-fi influenced "spacey" music? A close contender would be Alchemist I guess if we're going to keep it within death metal (influenced) bands, but what are some other groups that are worth my attention?

Post subject: Re: Let's talk other sci-fi/spacey bands
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:10 am 
The Wanderer

Demilich, Origin and Vortech are the only other sci-fi themed death metal bands that come to mind but they are all awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:58 am 
Great Councillor

Portal from Australia are a great band to check out, they'r not a 'spacey' band but they certainly make one hell of a dark atmosphere.

Another band to check out is darkspace. Very thick layered spacey bm trio from Switzerland.

Also check out this song that Ben from mithras made!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3vTycRS ... annel_page

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:21 am 
Lord Of The Condemned

I'm so glad somebody made this thread. I've been meaning to do so. I knew of Origin and Nocturnus long before Mithras, but I didn't like Nocturnus much, and Origin is often repetitive. Nevertheless, they have a few songs that are pretty good.

Mithras, too, moved to the top of my favorite bands list when I found them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:14 pm 
Mithras Guitarist / Drummer

Portal are a great band, I've got Seepia and Outre somewhere. It's not for anyone faint hearted, really evil and horrendous!

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:01 pm 
Great Councillor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:18 am 
Great Councillor

I thought the latest Decrepit Birth was pretty on par with the latest Mithras as far as psychedelic sound goes. Of course not as good ;) but I still thought it was awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:23 am 

Yeah Decrepit is great. They got compared to Mithras a lot with their new album, I guess I can see some similiarities.

I saw them live last year and tbh they were incredible, miles better than on record, one of the best dm bands I've seen, up there with Morbid, Immolation etc

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:20 am 
The Wanderer

I don't see the comparison between Decrepit Birth and Mithras. It's almost like comparing apples and oranges. Decrepit Birth is part of the new wave of wanky tech death. Mithras is a very atmospheric death metal band.

The only similarities I see are; kick-ass production, great song composition, and tasteful technicality.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:56 pm 

You'd probably see it more in a live setting where they play more relaxed and sound less like Death

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:09 pm 
The Wanderer

I've seen them live twice… :?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:13 pm 

Good for you! I don't think they sound much like Mithras on record either, however I actually spoke to one of the guys in the band as he got in touch after a few reviews of their new album compared them to Mithras.

Hopefully one day we can do a few shows with them...

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:22 pm 
The Wanderer

I'd love to see that tour. I got the opportunity to talk to Bill, their lead vocalist, and he seemed to be very knowledgeable about the scene.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:12 pm 
The Wanderer

There is a band called Element from the US. They`ve got KC Howard(Decrepit Birth, ex-Odious Mortem drummer of that band but handles an electric axe now). They have Sci-Fi lyrics and the current MySpace song isnt spacey in my opinion. Take a listen yourself http://www.myspace.com/elementaeonspast .
Origin has covers featuring Nebulas but doesnt sounds very spacey to me:P.
A band which can be named here is Luciferion. They use keys in the songs of "The Apostate" for a spacey dimension. They are really underesitmated!!! They must not be forgotten!!!

Someday i hope i can release an album which will be spacey death metal. I am still practising and writing and practising some more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:31 pm 
Great Councillor

Aaa yes im surprised I forgot Luciferion there! Both albums they released are amazing, 'the apostate' having a more astral sound.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next