[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mithras • View topic - Galactic Records
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:30 pm 
Mithras Guitarist / Drummer

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:48 pm 
Great Councillor

hmm, they do have a bit of a Venom sound.

Pretty good though. I'll have to buy up all the albums on your label sometime when i have some cash :P

Post subject: Re: Galactic Records
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:28 am 
Lord Of The Condemned

So hows the label doing anyway Leon?

No one is spared from the funeral inception
God forbid
God forbidden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:30 pm 

The label is on hiatus right now, I just don't have enough hours in the day or the motivation unfortunately. It's also been a bit of a slog with cd sales going to the toilet.

Galactic did try and sign quite a few other bands but most of them had totally unrealistic expectations (like wanting to keep all rights to the recordings which would have made it a licencing deal) then expecting to be treated like full on signed artists.

However, it was worth giving it a try. One thing I learned was there's a huge difference between the types of labels and the bands they sign.

We set Galactic up as a pro label, which had proper distribution in stores (even worldwide) and didn't trade, paid all our artists, paid for ads in magazines and did cd tracks and internet advertising. But it doesn't work very well unless you've got a band who push themselves just as hard, or sign an established band. You've got to have the same goals.

Most bands worthy of release are just more suited to an underground "we press 500 of your cds, sell/trade 450 of them and give you 50 as payment" type deal, where everyone feels happy and the label exists mainly to trade and works an underground cd store.

The downsides for bands are they get hardly any press coverage or support from the label in this setup (there are a few exceptions) and any coverage is in the super depths of the underground. They also have to pay for all recording costs and the only money they get is from selling the cds they are given. Also the cds don't easily get into mainstream channels this way.

This setup obviously works to the labels advantage as they only need to worry about trading/selling direct the 450 cds, what the band does or how they behave doesn't mean a great deal as the label doesn't need every cd to sell itself from traditional shop shelves as they're going to swap them with other underground labels for cds they can hopefully sell at least a few of to browsers of their underground mailorder.

Mithras actually started off this way with the very first pressing of Legions on Golden Lake (except it was 1000 cds) but Golden Lake were really ambitious and worked hard on PR. We also had that album in stores pretty sharpish too. Golden Lake quickly got full on distro in stores and the rest is history ;)

All the bands which were signed to Galactic were released from their contracts quite a while back now.

Who knows, Galactic may return one day ;) Until then I'll be spending any spare time I have training to be UK armwrestling champion.. err I mean doing the next Mithras record ;)

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:38 pm 
Lord Of The Condemned

I hear ya, At least you guys gave it a go. In fact we were going to try and bug you with Trigon Aion, now I know not too He,he. How did you get into arm wrestling? I myself practice Tang Soo Do Mu Duk kwan. Korean Martial arts :mrgreen:

No one is spared from the funeral inception
God forbid
God forbidden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:28 pm 
Lord Of The Condemned

Oh, cool. Nice name, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:17 pm 

The label isn't dead, we'll see what happens in the future!

I got into arm wrestling when I was a kid and have done it ever since. I got back into it a year ago and now train with a professional club, it's going well and I'm making really good progress with both arms. I think I'll have a chance at a UK top 3 spot with my left arm depending on the class next year...

Obviously I have to be careful with my training as I need to be able to play drums and guitar, and arm wrestling is pretty hard on the hands and wrists.

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2