It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question about your picking ( techy question)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:04 am 
The Wanderer

Leon, I was just wondering, when you are playing very fast picked parts, like at the beginning of voices in the void, are you playing four notes per beat, or just playing as fast as you can? also, i dont have any software to slow songs down, can you tell me the tempo of this song if you know it off hand, if not, thats cool.

Ive been playing guitar for almost 3 years as of this summer, and my picking is up to eveb 16ths at 250 BPM, sustained for about a minute without arm tension. I want to see how far i have to go to be on par with your picking skills (just picking, i have a long way to go to be on par with you in general)

thanks for continued inspiration, you are the one of the best and definately THE most creative guitarist in metal that ive ever heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:25 am 
Mithras Guitarist / Drummer

Hi there.

When i play fast on both albums, i always play the correct subdivision of picking for the tempo, something which is incredibly hard to do on songs like 'Trample their Works' and 'Vae Solis' (both which go over 300bpm)

That bit in 'Voices...' is 4 picked notes per snare hit, or picked in "16th notes" whichever way you want to call it. The tempo of Voices is around 258bpm as far as i can tell by tapping on the table ;)

If you can do 250bpm for a whole minute, that's really good :) Tbh I can't say what my fastest ever picking was / is, but on a song 'Vae solis' has 16ths at 340bpm in little bursts :o , and Trample goes on at just over 300bpm for a good amount of the song.

As you know 'Worlds' has loads of fast picked songs all around the 260bpm mark, the challenge when playing them is stopping and starting perfectly and not being loose on the slower parts which intersperse with them.

Cheers for the compliments, ask any questions you like and i'll try and answer them.

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]