[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mithras • View topic - Psyrens = Dominate?!?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Psyrens = Dominate?!?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:12 am 
Great Councillor

Check out the review of WBTV by Perpetual Winter at this link:-

The reviewer thinks the intro riff from Psyrens was ripped off from the intro riff of Morbid Angel's Dominate!!
Anyone on here should know both riffs. Now tell me. Is there something wrong with my hearing coz they're definitely different to my ears?

It seems a shame that a few people say Mithras sound too much like Morbid Angel. I don't know what Mithras can do to get away from it without changing their sound too much. It's grossly unfair because WBTV sounds very different to Formulas Fatal to the Flesh.

If Leon played 'solos by numbers' he would be criticised for playing boring predictable solos, yet if he plays imaginative, sometimes chaotic solos, people say 'Trey Junior' or whatever.

You know, I can't help but wonder how things would be if Mithras were american, say from Florida. Then the comments would change. It would be "Mithras are the next big American Death Metal band"..."The spiritual successors to Morbid Angel"..."The biggest band since Nile".....

I DESPAIR WITH THIS PLANET.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:21 am 
You are as nothing, for now I am the all

Humans are shits.

It's unfair because Mithras are aproximately nine thousand four hundred and twenty seven million times better than Morbid Angel.

The riffs sound totally different, goddamnit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:23 am 

After reading that top review, I once again wish I had the ability to vomit blood on people through the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:18 am 
Forum Admin

Just look at that awesome 98% review!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:05 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:29 pm 
Lord Of The Condemned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:34 am 
Mithras Guitarist / Drummer

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

Post subject: Re: Psyrens = Dominate?!?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:42 am 

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:11 am 
Great Councillor

I have nothing against americans either but they seem to have a problem accepting that there's now a british extreme metal band that's of sufficient quality to rival anything they have to offer.

They always cite Nile as their standard-bearer now when I get into arguments, sorry
discussions with them. I think Nile are great but whatever they do, they are still one trick ponies. They are great musicians but the majority of their solos sound the same. Their latest album is great. I like it better than ITDS and it has a better production but it's still same old same old. It will get repeated spins on my stereo but it doesn't get me excited.

One of the things that makes Mithras stand out is the dynamics of the music. The music ebbs and flows. The tempos change. The mood changes constantly throughout the album. This is why the ambient sections and the instrumentals are so important. You sail into the eye of the storm, are allowed to have a breather, and then you're forced back into the hurricane.

The music affects my feelings unlike Nile or the latest Morbid Angel. At the end of 'Beyond the Eyes of Man' I always feel contemplative, even sad. I've not been affected by extreme metal like that before so I count it as a first.

That is exactly why the MA comparisons don't hold water, at all. Fair enough, they've influenced Mithras but then again Eddie Van Halen influenced Trey Azagthoth, which is why he's the tap monster that he is. Randy Rhoads once said that at least 50% of a guitarists' sound comes from within. Just because similar tones and effects are used, it doesn't mean Mithras have ripped off MA. Leon's solos sound to my ears totally different in personality to Trey Azagthoth's (George's).
If Mithras were just an MA clone I wouldn't have got so excited when I first heard them. I can't think of any MA tracks that are as chaotic and expansive as the WBTV title track, in all it's glorious psychedelic brutality.

As for all the criticism of Rayner's vocals, that's bullshit also. I prefer my vocalists to be able to articulate whilst they are growling so I can understand what the fuck they are growling about!!
If I want to listen to unintelligible guttural growls all I have to do is load Napalm Death's 'Scum' into the CD player and there you have it - the last word in barbarian communication. Maybe some americans have problems with Rayner's vocals because they can't speak properly themselves and they envy his mastery of the ENGLISH spoken word (that was a joke by the way). :lol:
I laugh at the pathetic attempts to criticise WBTV (notice the criticise and not
criticize, all you Americans out there). :twisted:
Now that all you critics have run out of lame things to say about it just load it in the CD player, sit back and enjoy the rare masterpiece that it is.
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:35 am 

Tbh, it is can sometimes be quite disheartening when faced with a sea of ignorance and criticism of every aspect of our work, but at the end of the day the people who really like it more than make up for it. Cheers 8)

Suffice to say we will be attempting to both at once further our music and silence the critics with the next album.

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:05 am 
Great Councillor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:18 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:51 am 
Great Councillor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:52 am 
Great Councillor

Anyway George Lucas is American.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:07 pm 

You're really failing to make me hate America less :p

You suck at this game!
Minus 1000 points!
F MINUS, MINUS!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next