[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mithras • View topic - SANDS OF TIME - EARLY DEMOS & RARITIES - available now!!!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: SANDS OF TIME - EARLY DEMOS & RARITIES - available now!!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:06 pm 
The Wanderer

My brother just told me we recieved numbers 38 and 39 at home. Great. 8)

I'll listen to it next week and review it as soon as possible, considering I have horribly hard law exams coming until mid-may. But I've just posted a news on my website to spread the word !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:07 pm 
The Wanderer

Just took the liberty of uploading the details to metal-archives with the track names as they are on the last page - hope that's OK. No lyrics yet as I'm lazy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:52 am 
Mithras Guitarist / Drummer

By all means, anyone post whatever info regarding the release they like online, bar scanning or typing out the notes from the inlay which would be extremely uncool :?

There's no lyrics in the booklet as they wouldn't fit, the lyrics for the songs which aren't on an existing album (i.e the Gods Among Men ones) are on this page:

Thanks for adding it to Metal Archives, if possible could you add Tom Hyde on as live Rhythm Guitarist, then it'd be up to date :D Oops, plus the logo on that page is out of date too, the logo we've used for the last 3 years is here:

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:55 am 

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:29 pm 
Great Councillor

Still not got the bastard!

Friends of mine in kernow are having the same problem tho, fucking pasty munching twats I WANT MY CD!!!! :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:41 pm 
Searching The Endless Planes...

Got mine on Tuesday funnily enough, because the Postman knew i would place some voodoo curse on his family if he didn't. I happen to be number 40 in the limited edition pressing!

My short review should be taken with a slight pinch of salt because I'm probably not the best person to ask in regards to music critique but anyway.

So yeah i got round to listening to it today, at precisely the same time that I've gotten back to the drawing board seeing how I've been running around the place all week. There i was scribbling away on my next comic page and I think within 3 minutes in listening a sly grin formed across my face knowing that the money spent with my bone dry debit card was well worth it.

The Gods among Men sections was the clear highlight for me, and although its getting release now I'm slightly unhappy that you didn't continue with this album to create a full studio album in the same vein as the others. Because it is a corka i thought. :D
Conquered Realms and Ancient Prophecy was cool. I think i remember hearing Leon broke into the Thrash genre, and i could hear it a little on this one. With Plagued Lands I often shy away from Metal of Rock tracks that go on for 12 odd minutes, but the dark tone managed to keep itself interesting on that track.
For the track Gods among Men, wow is all i can say. Frankly I'm tempted to either make a legit music vid of that track or at least jump up and down like a whiny brat demanding Mithras play that track when they next do a show.

In comparison the other demos were of less priority. I mean i listen to Mithras albums monthly if not weekly so you know i clearly like those tracks (i actually reckon Transcendence is under rated) and yet there wasn't as much sparkle to hear older versions. Then again it gets more interesting to compare them to the current tracks, to acknowledge the backgrounds to when they were initially recorded.

On that note the notes inside makes for an interesting read and whilst i don't think i can repeat what's mentioned, its nice to see you guys keeping good company in the studios and that you were stomping the balls of Indie Emos in the neighborhood.

All i will probably say is and I've kept schtum about it for a while. Just an observation in that I've read a few Mithras reviews in which whether the critic is pro or negative they often compare Mithras to Morbid Angel, something Leon even feels flattered with. I'm probably the only berk who disagrees and thinks Mithras has an independent style from other death metal bands. Which i mean as a complement mind. Still i could feel the influence on the early tracks.

But overall its a recommendable goodun and Kudos to Leon and the gang. You've made my Easter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:32 pm 
The Wanderer

I also got my copy now, and it slays!!

It's very interesting to hear how Mithras evolved musically, because I did only know the three regular albums before. Reading through the liner notes while listening was also very interesting, and the artwork is great!

I was a little bit surprised because the thing looks like a CD-R, and I was expecting a "real" CD. Is this only for the limited first edition? I guess I'll have to rip the tracks to my PC as I don't trust the longtime durability, and the music is just too good to get lost...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:34 pm 

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:43 pm 
Great Councillor

The postman finally handed my copy over to me! It did involve a pretty in depth cavity search but al least I finally have it!

Very impressed! Bloody amazing package, I've not yet got around to reading all of the linear notes.

Hearing all the songs I know & love so well recorded in different sessions is truly amazing, both 'Gods among men' & 'Bequeath thy visions' recordings sound amazing. The 'Dreaming in splendour' material on beyond is also interesting, hearing mithras in a rawer & younger form really sent tingles down my spine.

The biggest stand out track to me here was Plagued lands (which I am currently listening to) I personally found this much different to anything I've heard by Mithras, did this track hold any of the life from your previous thrash band??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:34 pm 
Great Councillor

Brilliant

Nothing more to say

I'll be under a serious operation over the next year and I will be jamming out to this thoroughly and any future release during my recovery! Hopefully I will be able to follow Mithras throughout!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:57 pm 

Great, finally it arrives!

I'm glad someone has mentioned "Plagued Lands" as it is a pretty unusual song. We have footage of us playing most of this track live in 1999. It's a cool track and a shame we never had time to rerecord this one in 2003. As I think I said we did rerecord 'Conquered Realms' but it was a bit cack haha.

You're right that it's from the period where we formed Imperator, and probably a bit more the band we did previous to Imperator, but more mature etc.

The band before (called Reprisal) split in 1998 and when me and Rayner hooked up again after a few months break we wanted to start over with a new band, without the association to that name and ex members, and with a totally different mindset, even though Liam and Justin both played in Reprisal too.

Best of luck for your operation Minions!

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:42 am 
You are as nothing, for now I am the all

After seven billion years of umming and arring my new card arrives next week.
Please tell me there's some of the first 100 left or I'm going to give myself a Glasgow smile by screaming so hard if not :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:48 pm 
Great Councillor

[quote]I'm glad someone has mentioned "Plagued Lands" as it is a pretty unusual song. We have footage of us playing most of this track live in 1999./quote]

Ooooh will this ever be made available??

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:12 pm 
The Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:19 pm 
The Wanderer

The ovation falls!

#047 arrived at my house today! Ancient Prophecy made me unnuterranbly happy after I had lost it so many years ago. I've just got as far as the laugh in The Caller and the Listener'

EEEEEOOOOOOWAGHAHGAGHAAAAAA!

Can feel the bass running through my chair

Where does the artwork come from?

Until next time,

George

Forget the power of technology, science and common humanity. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for there is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of the thirsting Gods.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next