[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mithras • View topic - WITHOUT THE PAST THERE IS NO FUTURE...
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: WITHOUT THE PAST THERE IS NO FUTURE...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:11 am 
Mithras Guitarist / Drummer

Well with the news out that Rayner is leaving Mithras, it's a confusing time for me, one of reflections, revelations, exaltations and portentous generally.

Rayner and myself formed Mithras way back in 1998, when we were both 18. Back then we had some band experience but wanted to start afresh with a new project and see where it led us. Little did we realise that ten years later we'd be here still! Across those ten years we recorded three albums (and a horde of unreleased material), went through innumerable line-up changes, put in thousands of rehearsal hours, experienced a lot of what life can throw at you while changing and growing as people. The road was rewarding, I achieved great satisfaction from writing and performing and having people enjoy our works and the total immersion experience and atmosphere the band provided around the time of 'Legions...' and 'Worlds...'.

But the road was also difficult; Mithras originally being intended to be a full band, we could never solidify a line-up with another drummer which meant I undertook a greater burden than most, by filling the roles of both drummer and guitarist while being the main composer. While this proved a strength due to me being willing to put aside a lot of what most would call "normal life" to concentrate on both roles and perform them to a higher level than most people can afford the practice time to do, it was also a huge burden on me, and one I'd subconsciously try and shake off whenever a potential drummer came along.

Throughout the band history, I always had to be the do-er in the band, but as time went on, I found myself isolated and responsible for almost everything band related, which was a huge pressure on me, and made something which was originally my artistic love into a difficult and frustrating challenge and hard to reconcile or separate from my life outside the band. Unfortunately, this came at the time when we had one of the biggest opportunities to take the band up to another level, but due to the above we never managed to capitalise on it in the way we could have.

After over 12 years of playing music together, Rayner is like a brother to me but has a lot of other interests outside of music which he dedicates his time to right now, and while it's sad that a chapter of the band has closed, I've got to get back to the reasons behind me making music in the first place; this is a good time for both me and Rayner to go our separate ways musically speaking.

News about what's next for Mithras will come in time, but we've got many options on the table right now, and potential candidates threatening to push rivals down the stairs if that's what it takes!

In the meantime, our first gig in three years is also Rayner's last. I can honestly say that while the past six months have been very difficult for all of us in Mithras, we're also playing way better as a live unit than any previous line-up and representing the songs extremely well. If you catch the show on the 14th of December you'll see Rayner at the peak of his powers and a band behind him gearing up for the future.

Time waits for no man...

Leon Macey

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

Post subject: Re: WITHOUT THE PAST THERE IS NO FUTURE...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:03 pm 
Great Councillor

Reading the topic title I had a horrible feeling you were going to say mithras are to hang up the gloves after the 14th. Thankfully not!

The 14th is going to be the best way to see Rayner off, let him go out with a bang. It's going to be a truly epic experience!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:26 pm 
Great Councillor

Dave Vincent rejoined Morbid Angel...who knows what the future holds.

Hail Mithras!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:12 pm 
Great Councillor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:28 pm 
Mithras Vocalist / Bassist

I think as has been said before, we should be grateful of what the past has given us and look forward to what is to come. So many doors have been opened to the band, a real fresh out look. It may sound funny but I'm excited about it, I can stand on the other side of the fence and marvel at greatness of the band and just enjoy what it creates. What has happened is the best for the band without a doubt in my mind. With bassplayer/singers being ten a penny and Mithras being the band that its is, I wager it won't be long before someone more than suitable comes along and with Leons massive array of contacts I'm sure the choice will be massive and a great selection will be made.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:28 am 
The Wanderer

i know this is a new topic aswell......it just also seems like a good reply......

So after nearly a week of battling off the flu and sickness ive had lots of time to think about our wee predicament!

The debate about 'what to do next' is surely going to ring on for an uncalculable amount of time, or maybe not...........maybe the answer is round the corner who knows..........I for one, having been the outsider for four years, have certainly come back to complex times and after truly understanding Leons musical grief feel that it is my duty to lever the burden from his shoulders with my massive musical biceps!

It is imperative that myself, Leon and any other composer for that matter, write their material with truth in their hearts and real reasoning and philosophy! otherwise it is worthless!..........I feel that the great 'evoconibrium' (something from my book u'll have to read lol) has brought me back to Mithras and there is true underlying reasoning behind this return.

All you loyal Bijimitsu fans out their have heard the Orbeth material etc and i would be dammed if my writing ability not be applied to future Mithras material!.......Like the amazing intro scene in transformers the movie (where the red and blue planets are clashing and Unicron is created) Myself and Leons colossal drive to create the 'sonic keys to the multiverse' will show!

I truly feel that something utterly epic is possible. Something that will truly resonate within your soul!..........Ive just got to use my KORG deathboard as a battering ram, in order to cross the threshold of Leons mighty underground recording fortress! lol

We are not getting any younger here so lets make the next one reach out far beyond the 'Unknown'!...........Lets write it with, like you said Leon, real reasoning, true reasoning.............lets do it for the reason that is most important! This way on our day of judgement before the elders we can truly say we are worthy!

obviously ive got Orbethia to look after aswell lol!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:37 pm 
You are as nothing, for now I am the all

Hails and horns, Leon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:21 pm 
Great Councillor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:56 pm 
Great Councillor

I agree with weasel there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:27 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:21 am 
Mithras Guitarist / Drummer

for who
could know
the mysteries
of life itself

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:41 pm 

Which in turn is the reason I have decided to leave because my own work family and other commitments mean I cannot commit to aiding leon as much as he needs from other members. As I said if I was to stay it would hold the band back from getting to the next stage which is what it deserves, its a great shame obviously, but something that has to happen for the band and so Leon doesn't have that nerous breakdown :wink: .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:12 pm 
Great Councillor

He has already lost his hair after all! Would'nt want him to lose his beard aswell! :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:18 am 
Great Councillor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:21 am 
Great Councillor

Mithras just haven't had a fair crack of the whip. It's amazing that the band is still going really and that the quality of the music has remained high.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next